Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Niagara Trip - Day 14 - Cedar Point

Thursday
August 2, 2012

Since we've been to the "Best Kid's Park in the World", now it's time to go to the "Best Amusement Park" (not sure if it's in the world, or just the United States).  We walked over to the resort gate at the back of the park in time for the early entry at 9:00am and spent most of the day there, except for a pool break in the afternoon.  Somehow this is our first trip to Cedar Point.  Kyrie and I both like theme parks a lot and this one is supposed to be the best, but even though it's only 6 hours from our house we've never made it there.  Well, now we're here and we'll see if it lives up to the hype.  Kyrie went on the Maverick coaster first and really liked it.  Then we headed over to the Mantis coaster which I went on.  This is a stand up coaster and it bangs your head around a lot.  I told Kyrie not to bother going on it.  Then we took the boys on the Iron Dragon, which they loved.  I think this ended up being their favorite.  By this time it was time for the main gates to open, so we headed over to one of the several car rides that they have and the kids went on that.  The boys also went on their first upside down coaster today.  I think it was called the Corkscrew.  Max liked it and went on in it a couple times.  Jacob wasn't as sure about it; he only went on it once.  They also really liked the Mine Train coaster.

Our "deal" was that the adults got the first hour for coaster riding, and the kids get the rest of the day for their rides.  This helped the kids to be patient during that first early entry hour where you can ride coasters with relatively little wait time.  In an hour, we could only manage to get on three (one for me, one for Marc, and one that I took Max on and then Marc took Jacob on.) 

The surprise here was that Max was the adventurous coaster rider.  That's usually Jake's role.  Jake did okay too, but was a little more hesitant than Max to ride the coasters that they are tall enough to ride.  Max unknowingly agreed to go on the Corkscrew.  True to it's name it twists a lot and goes upside down three times.  He didn't notice that it goes upside down from where we entered the line.  I figured he would like it `(but wouldn't ride it if he knew) so I didn't feel badly about neglecting to tell him about the upside down parts.  After the first loop, I said, "Do you know that you just went upside down?"  He said, "No" and admitted he wasn't scared.  Afterward, he bragged to Jacob and Daddy about his feat and claimed to be King of the Coasters.  I'm sure that's why Jacob decided to give it a try later.
It was intensely hot today.  I never saw an actual temperature, but it was brutal at times (especially walking around on the hot asphalt).  Ella has changed from the little girl who sits in the stroller patiently, to the girl who wants it to be her turn to go on a ride.  We took Ella over to Camp Snoopy where she went on many rides.  She likes everything and so far would go on any ride she sees.

We couldn't wait to get back to the pool in the afternoon.  I've never felt more hot than I did while walking around Cedar Point.  We were so tired and hot that the boys and I just floated around at first relaxing instead of them making me play their usual pool games. 

Ella has made friends with a 4 year old camping next to us.  They met last night while playing outside, and they were thrilled to see each other at the pool today.  Ella isn't as shy as her brothers.  She went right up to her friend to hang out.

We went back to the park for dinner and a few more kiddie rides.  It was very nice that there was never a wait for the kids rides and not much of a wait for the smaller coasters.
At night they have some kind of a show and dance party.  It's kind of a singing show with some lasers and fire, but it's more than that.  I don't know exactly how to describe it.  I didn't like it, but most people probably would.   Before the show the boys got to be in a dancing competition on the stage.  They had fun.  Jacob has never seen a stage that he doesn't want to be on.  Their team won which made them happy, but they wanted a prize. 

So, overall I would say that Cedar Point has mostly lived up to my expectations.  They definitely have more coasters than I've ever seen in one place.  They have quite a few other rides as well, but I think that having a few dark rides would be nice.  If nothing else, it would get people out of the sun for a little while.  I haven't hit some of the rides yet, tomorrow we'll be back there for at least some of the day.  I'll have to get on Millenium Force.

No comments:

Post a Comment